orange fennel salad

Orange Fennel Salad

orange fennel salad

This orange fennel salad is different than our typical Middle Eastern flavors, but you won’t have to look far to find some Mediterranean influence . I combine the citrus flavors of oranges and lemons with crunchy carrots and fennel, and toss it all with fresh mint and honey for a really surprisingly delicious winter salad. Since we have started to shift to an 85% vegan lifestyle (the other 15% is gooey yummy dessert I just can’t depart from), I have explored a wide variety of fresh and raw fruit and vegetable combinations. This salad has been consistently a hit and relished by all I have fed it to. Throughout the cold winter months, there is a colorful variety of delicious citrus, and I use any combination in this salad. My kids really enjoy this because of the artful appearance, and also because they love the sweet and juicy flavors. The crunchy sweet fennel complements the citrus, and makes a nice contrast of flavor on top of a bed of field greens. 

orange and fennel

 

Start with a fresh bowl of field greens or arugula. 

field greens

Use a vegetable peeler to peel ribbons of colorful crunchy carrots. I also like to use the peeler to slice thin slivers of the fennel. Because the flavor of fennel can be strong, its better to have delicate little pieces throughout.

carrot slices

The citrus honey vinaigrette is the perfect dressing for this salad, and it happens to be my family’s favorite one yet! The citrusy tang is balanced with some sweet orang clover honey and a fresh burst of mint! I hope you enjoy this fresh and delicious salad as much as we do.

citrus honey vinaigrette

orange fennel salad

Orange Fennel Salad
Write a review
Print
Ingredients
  1. 2 oranges, any type you prefer
  2. 1/2 c sliced fennel
  3. 1/2 c chopped mint leaves
  4. 1/2 diced shallot
  5. 8 oz spring mix field greens
  6. 1 carrot
For the citrus honey vinaigrette
  1. 1 tbsp minced mint leaves
  2. 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
  3. 1/4 c fresh orange juice
  4. 1 tbsp orange zest
  5. 1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
  6. 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  7. 1/4 c olive oil
  8. 2 tbsp orange clover honey
  9. 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Instructions
  1. Wash the oranges and zest the peel. Set the zest aside to be used for the dressing later.
  2. Peel one orange with a sharp knife, including the white pith, so that the juicy flesh of the orange is exposed. Make two cuts into each section of the orange, just shy of the segment dividers. Set these segments aside to place on top of the salad.
  3. Use the other orange for fresh squeezed juice. Cut the orange in half, juice only half of it, and then slice the other half into circles to place on top of the salad for decor.
  4. Wash and rinse the greens. Place the drained greens into a large bowl.
  5. Toss in the chopped mint leaves, shallots, and sliced fennel.
  6. Wash and peel the carrot. With a vegetable peeler, slice thin ribbons of carrot and arrange artfully on top of the salad. You may do the same with the fennel, to slice thin pieces.
  7. Arrange the orange segments and slices on top of the salad.
  8. In a small bowl or cup, combine all the ingredients for the citrus dressing, and whisk. Pour on the dressing as you serve and enjoy!
Notes
  1. Extra dressing may be stored in the refrigerator and used on many other salads! Try tossing in cooked farro or quinoa with this salad as well.
Sugar & Garlic http://www.sugarandgarlic.com/
0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *