These savory sweet potatoes are a quick and easy side for any meal. I served them up along my Thanksgivng turkey this year, and they were a big hit! The sweet potatoes wedges are tossed in my special mix of sultry and savory spices, and roasted to a delicious crisp. The cinnamon I use is a high quality organic ceylon cinnamon powder; it has a aromatic scent of spicy cinnamon and tastes superior to others I have tried. Ceylon cinnamon is also cleaner and safer, contrary to the cheaper cassia cinnamon on most local grocery store shelves. Cassia cinnamon may have a toxin within it that may effect the health of children and adults if consumed frequently. Read more about this here.
I have to mention this major tip I learned only recently because it is incredibly useful: use an actual potato peeler. It works like magic. If you have ever tried to peel or cut into a sweet potato, you know how tough it can be. A $4 peeler is well worth it as the skin slides off like butter.
I combine cinnamon with savory onion powder, white pepper, salt, and black pepper which perfectly balances the sweet and spicy flavors of the cinnamon and the sweet potato. Sweet potatoes are an ultra healthy root vegetable, with a high content in carotenoids (vitamin A), a wealth of antioxidants, and other nutrients that reduce blood sugar levels. Additionally, the absorption of the nutrients is improved when sweet potatoes are consumed with a healthy amount of fat, such as olive oil.
So eaten in moderation, this side dish is an excellent carbohydrate to add to your meals or snack repertoire and feel great about. Just be sure to use organic sweet potatoes because as a root vegetable, it would absorb a high concentration of toxins and chemicals from the soil, if it isn’t organic!
It is mandatory to roast these orange gems on a large flat dish-the more surface area the better because you get more of that roasted, browned, and slightly charred flavor. When the potatoes are layered upon each other, you will have less of that desirable crunchy and charred texture and more that is softened. Rest assured, either way it is delicious, but I would say that the crunchy, slightly charred and crispy pieces are everyone’s favorite part!
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree fahrenheit.
- With a large knife, slice the potatoes into 1 inch cubes, or wedges that are about 3/4 inch wide. The thicker the potato chunks, the longer it will take to cook and get crunchy. So this size is about perfect. If it is too small or thin, it will burn and get dry.
- Mix the olive oil and all the spices in a bowl.
- Toss the chopped potatoes in the bowl until well coated. Add extra oil if necessary.
- Spread the potatoes evenly on a large, flat pan, avoiding any overlapping.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender and golden.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, and remove from pan with a large spatula.
- Serve this along with your favorite steak, chicken, fish, or just as a delicious and healthy snack!