Summer is just around the corner, bon fires are getting lit, and we are all excited to toast some marshmallows and eat some ooey-gooey s’mores! I don’t think I have ever met a person who doesn’t love and fully embrace this amazing and incredible American tradition fire-side. Chocolate melted under a gooey, oozing puff of sugar, sandwiched in between a crunchy graham cracker sandwich. How perfect. And even better is that now I can quickly whip up a batch of cookies reminiscent of these summer-time favorite flavors and textures to enjoy without the whole bon-fire thing. Because I live in downtown Chicago and I don’t have a place for a bon fire on my balcony (yet) this is always a plus. Now I can share and enjoy a s’more ANYWHERE.
I am super excited to share this recipe as this is my first time posting with the Leftovers Club! This is a wonderful haven for food bloggers such as myself, who are obsessed with baking and cooking, but cannot afford to pack on all the calories involved in single handedly devouring a whole batch of cookies. Because I have done that many times. So now I get to share my goodies and trade them for some other yummy treats in the mail! I have partnered with my blogger buddy Elizabeth from Cooking with Milton, and we shipped our surprise treats to each other (God knows I don’t need to consume this whole batch alone and I will if it sits here). The Leftovers club is a great way for foodies to share what they love with one another, so definitely check it out!
In this recipe I use graham cracker crumbs, lots of chocolate, and yummy, gooey, bite-size marshmallows. I use vegan or halal marshmallows free of pork gelatin, which I find in Whole Foods. They are delicious! The recipe is as easy as a basic chocolate chip cookie, topping them with crumbled graham crackers, and lots of little marshmallows!
The trickiest part of the recipe is opening the hot oven when the cookies are about 2 minutes away from perfection and quickly and carefully tossing on the marshmallows with precision. I don’t put them on in the beginning because they would scorch and completely melt if they bake for 9-10 minutes. So after about 8 minutes of baking, I pop open the oven and quickly top each cookie before too much heat escapes and before the cookies collapse- all without burning my fingers! This is the tricky part that will make you feel like you are around that traditional campfire doing the real thing 😉
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups chocolate chips ( I prefer a mix of semi-sweet and bittersweet)
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Make the ground graham cracker crumbs by processing in a food processor or blender until fine. Sift the crumbs with flour and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the butter and sugars until creamy and dreamy.
- Gradually add in an egg, one at a time. Add the vanilla. Mix on low-medium speed.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture.
- Add in the chocolate chips.
- The mixture will likely be very soft from the heat of all the mixing, so refrigerate the dough for about 15 minutes.
- Scoop a table spoon sized ball of dough and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Crumble coarse cracker crumbs on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 9-11 minutes total. Set a timer for 8 minutes and be ready to quickly pop open the oven door, pull out the oven shelf slightly without removing the cookie sheet, and sprinkle on marshmallows onto each cookie. Bake for an additional 2 minutes, max.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Enjoy while warm and gooey!
Check out all the other awesome recipes from my friends at the Leftovers Club!