This is a refreshing and filling veggie tuna salad that you can eat on its own right out of the bowl, or you can wrap it into a flat bread for a quick and easy sandwich, or melt some provolone cheese over it to make a warm and toasty tuna melt! Yum!
This tuna salad is so easy to make with fresh ingredients and lots of flavor. We load up on veggies that give this a nice crunch. The recipe is an inspiration based on a green bean tuna salad recipe written by the fabulous Giada de Laurentiss and made for me by a more fabulous friend:) I made this at home with some of my fresh and favorite veggies: red bell peppers, green beans, asparagus, tomatoes, and parsley . I omitted red potatoes to reduce the carbs and cooking steps, used fresh crunchy green beans, and added some kick with chopped fennel instead of celery. This was awesome.
Oh and I use plenty of fresh squeezed lemons, almost 1 whole lemon per can of tuna. In my book, the more lemon the better. But it is possible to add too much lemon so don’t get carried away!
I use “Wild Planet” tuna, which is a brand I love because it is sustainably caught (pole and troll), non GMO, no liquids or fillers are added (as is with the common Chicken of the Sea and other major brands), and it is stored in BPA free cans. There are also many other wonderful healthful varieties stored in olive oil. You want to avoid the kinds stored in water, because many of the heart healthy omega 3 fats are lost and nutrients are not retained as well (neither is the taste actually). I use about 5 6 oz cans in the recipe which is enough to feed at least 5 adults; the volume is tripled with all the fresh chopped vegetable ingredients we add!
If you let your kids dice and stir this salad with you, they are always more likely to eat what they make. They always love the bright colors in the salad too.
- 4-5 6 oz cans of tuna, packed in olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh fennel, diced
- 1 cup of fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 3/4-1 c fresh squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- Toss all the chopped ingredients with the tuna in a large bowl.
- Stir the dressing together and pour all over the tuna salad.
- Serve in wraps, on toast, on crackers, or eat it as it is as a healthy and filling salad!